PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2014, 13:30
Ronald Reagan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But how about Iraq and Libya? I see how neither of those have helped our country or people. Also the desire of the political leadership to engage in action Syria, I fail to see how that is in our interests.

The US military action in Vietnam proved to be a total waste of time, sadly it was all for nothing. The communists still won and yet there was not much of a domino effect besides Laos and Cambodia.

As for Yugoslavia logically we could have kept strong military forces at the borders but not got directly involved. Amazing how Tito could hold it together!

China still has in my opinion been a lot better behaved globally than what we have. I don't see Russia or China as a major threat to the western way of life. Russia is a capitalist country, China although technically communist has embraced capitalism to a massive level. I see neither these days as any kind of threat to the current global system.
I do think that back in the day with the USSR especially the Stalin years there was a threat from the USSR but when the Cold War ended and realistic threat to the western way of life from Russia ceased. At worst Russia is a rival to the west not an enemy, in my opinion they could and should be a partner.