PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Middle East or stay at home ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2014, 12:28
Rather Be Skiing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiefarmer
There's one thing that I think we will all (99.9%) agree on. Not a single one of us wants to stay in Dubai forever. Then that leaves 2 reasons (in my opinion) to come here: - A faster professional promotion (upgrade) //not anymore these days! - Saving money to retire earlier and/or achieve financial goals //barely possible these days! In the end you are going to go back (as an average, EK pilots last 6 to 8 years in the company). Before it made sense (cash+3yr upgrade then few years as skipper and back home). But now, why bother coming??
That about sums it up. Locals aside, there are very few here that would say Dubai is on their list of desired locals to live.

That leaves, for the most part, money and professional advancement. Both of these are no longer the 'carrots' they once were.

The moral at EK, from my observations, is shockingly low. This seems to be the case across most employee groups. The human side of the equation has been so badly mismanaged, I don't think money alone will cure what ails this place.