PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You Calll Yourselves Pilots
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2014, 08:43
andrewr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A VFR aircraft sqwarking 1200 is not 'identified' by the controller unless the Controller 'positively' identifies it. If it's not 'positively identified' it doesn't stop the Controller passing traffic on it, to others.
That's what I meant... I hear a controller say to a (probably IFR) aircraft something like: "VFR traffic in your 11 o'clock at 5 miles 5500 feet unverified" and I think I'm at 5500 feet, could it be me? Should I speak up? I have no idea where the aircraft referred to is. Usually it turns out they're 50, 100 miles away or more. I have no problem ignoring it now, but the first few times I was unsure because of the rule that VFR traffic are supposed to listen and announce if they may be in conflict.

I've never knocked back a flight following request, try it.
Maybe I will. How does it work in the case given, when you also need to switch to/from CTAFs and only have one radio?

Controller sees a situation developing on radar they are obliged, by law, to do something about it.
Out of interest, what separation is considered "a situation developing"? VFR, most would probably consider 1 mile is nothing to worry about, but I'm not sure what it looks like on radar.

Last edited by andrewr; 26th Feb 2014 at 09:17. Reason: Additional question