PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 26th Feb 2014, 08:33
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
SS Sid,

Your answers to the CAD failure are listed in the RFM at 3.3.3 Failure of CAD lane.
There is a list of which cautions are subsequently passed to the VEMD screen.
XFER and PRIME pumps are NOT listed.
Thanks for that RVDT, my post 2436 with the videos that I'm sure you must have seen and read, shows this quite clearly and many posts made after that mention this reduced list of cautions, but I'm sure that you must have also read them.

Thanks again for all the technical blurb about the transfer pumps, but my question was, "If someone with a 135 handy can try something out ... With the transfer pumps running, when you turn them off, how long does it take for the cautions to come on?"

I was hoping for a more practical figure, but up to 3 mins seems about right.

Another word of caution - where you have a situation as evident in this incident.

If there had been enough time to correct the situation by recovering the fuel in the main tank
to the supply tanks by turning on the F PUMP AFT and F PUMP FWD and attempt a restart, please note that in
a normal speed and attitude for autorotation (i.e. < ~80 knots) the SHED BUS would need to be switched to
EMER after a dual engine failure as the F PUMP AFT is on the SHED BB2!!
Thanks also for the 'word of caution', but something that has been mentioned a couple of times before that I'm sure you must have read, it is highly unlikely that a restart was an option.

Reading the report, the earlier task in the area was completed at 1,000 ft alt. Assuming that the task completed on the way home in a similar area was at a similar altitude, let me ask the question …."Given an engine failure or double engine failure over a totally benign airfield during the day at less than 1,000ft aal, let alone over a city at night, would you really be contemplating an engine restart?

If the answer is yes, in a 135, why have they stopped, where is the fuel, how is your balance, which supply tank will be best to draw the fuel from, which engine would you start first?

In relation to your 80kts auto airspeed/aft fuel pump/shed emer reference, which airspeed would you actually be going for?
Max range? - 90kts
Min ROD? - 60kts
Best glide? - 65kts?

Imho, I still think it best to go for the plain auto!

Last edited by SilsoeSid; 26th Feb 2014 at 19:11. Reason: Quoted wrong person - corrected :-(