PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Middle East or stay at home ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2014, 07:34
theidler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These four posts were made a few years ago by the same poster in a time frame of just over a year. Take note of Al Murdochs post #2 on this thread.

He's happy at first.
I've been here 18 months and I love it! Nobody comes to EK from the UK for the Bunce. It's a question of quality of life. I came here to get away from crappy weather, tax, crappy promotion prospects, tax, a crappy government, tax, crappy services, tax, miserable b******s on late trains, tax, road rage,tax, the whordes of juvenile delinquents of a jilted generation, tax, same old Med and Caribbean routes, tax, same old routine, tax, whinging b******s, tax oh and dwindling pensions. Enuff said.
Four months later he's still happy.
If you want as secure a job as you can get in today's world, to go to work with a decent bunch of people, flying a young fleet of well maintained aircraft to wide and varied destinations and have the decision of beach,pool or golf to make on your days off then give it a whirl.
You can only compare it to what your previous (or current) employer was (is) like. 330 Man is spot-on when he says that you wouldn't leave a good job with a stable or a National carrier to come to Emirates, although saying that there are 2 young guys from BA here who are having a ball. I came here from a UK charter carrier as an F/O along with 5 colleages from our old airline along with people from SAA, Sabena, Swissair, SAS, Cathay and a whole host of scheduled, charter, international and domestic carriers.
My only regret is that I didnt apply 3 years earlier. I've been here for almost 18 months and I haven't regretted it. If you are caught up in a tough decision then take a trip out here and see it for yourself as it isn't to everyone's tastes. If you're married make sure you bring your wife.
The only downside is that it isn't the best pay in the industry and it is tied to the dollar, but on balance my quality of life is much better than with my previous mob and you can't really put a price on that.

Then just three months later he's writing about why Ryanair is better than EK.

Decent money, home every night, able to spend more time with the family, easily make 'Last Orders' at your local watering hole, COMMAND, good craic at work, friendlier working enviroment, safe(r) roads, as for tax, you'll probably be making more in sector pay to offset against income tax, EUROPE, greenery, no long overnight flights, no jet lag or feeling permanently knackered, fun at work...spending the best part of the last 18 months looking at what my friends back in charter and Lo cost have in terms of quality of life, money, pension schemes, promotion opportunities...they are just some of the reasons I'm leaving EK.
Six months later, he's out!
EK? What do I think?
Well I left today and some items I mentioned at my exit interview with HR went a little awry as I collected my cheque. Unfulfilled promises... verbal agreements.... 'cast iron assurances' not materialising etc. which left me feeling well and truly screwed over.
And two months ago he posted this:
In the 8 years since I left NOTHING has changed!!!
I can see why you guys are whinging...
Does Emirates still stand for
English Managed, Indian Rosterers, Aussie Trainers, Everybody Shafted...?