PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Middle East or stay at home ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2014, 22:29
777X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Middle East or stay at home ?

Many of my former colleagues had been 'forced' to the ME around 2009 to 2011 when airlines in Europe started failing at a significant rate. Large numbers went to Qatar and EK and stayed in gainful employment. I've yet to see any from this era return home... Addicted to the forbidden fruit of tax free cash perhaps.

However in the last two years I can only think of a couple of guys who have left good jobs; one wanted to fly LH (missed out on Virgin and ba) and the other always wanted to fly for EK since birth, despite never having been out there! They always seemed very positive over the phone but when I recently visited, well one was talking about giving it another 12 months! Ok, so it's not for everyone.

There seems only one reason to go to the ME at the moment - cash! For a single FO with no dependants or debt, the tax free pay is effectively all beer money. Together with provided accommodation, disposable income can be three times higher than back home. However fast commands, for Boeing at least, are a thing of the past. I read somewhere all T7 upgrades cancelled for this year? I'm guessing many joining now may never see out a command there as 8-10 years (summers!) is perhaps short for some airlines but a lifetime in the sandpit. QOL? The list of negatives is endless on this forum so I won't repeat them here.

T&C at some carriers I know in Europe are improving greatly whilst things slide at the big three. A jet FO joining my airline today will be on £55k basic after a year on short haul (not a legacy airline) whilst the starting pay at one of the big three is circ £50k for wide body long haul working maximum hours around the clock. The net pay is 1.5k more a month in the sandpit, plus accommodation. Of course if you can get a quick command in Europe (possible at my airline) there is little difference in pay.

My question is therefore - is it still worth leaving a permanent job back home in a reasonably stable airline for a job in the Middle East, and if so, for what? Has anyone done just that and lived to regret it, then not been able to get back home? (Expat for life, getting further and further from home with each job change!). Many say if you have a good passport and reasonable job just don't bother.

T7X