PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You Calll Yourselves Pilots
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2014, 21:25
andrewr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So an aircraft fitted with one radio like mine and following that track (but not actually overflying or invading the Euroa drop zone would be on what frequency:

122.5 or maybe 122.7 because it is marked for gliding;
126.7 because there is no dedicated frequency;
122.1 because within 10 NM of a CTAF with. A dedicated frequency; or
122.4 because the CAAP says that is what should be used and the CASA head just reinforced it in his monthly media blurb?
I don't think there is a perfect answer.

If flying towards Locksley I would tend to be on Locksley CTAF 121.1 before 10NM (probably 12-15), to have some awareness before making a call at 10NM. So before Euroa if travelling south.

Flying away, I would probably switch to area before 10NM if there was no traffic on CTAF. However, if someone called then called inbound at 10NM and saw me going in the opposite direction they would probably want to know why I wasn't on CTAF.

What frequency is used at Euroa? Being within the 10NM Locksley CTAF the reasonable assumption would be the same frequency, but some comments imply that is not the case.

Incidentally, Euroa illustrates a problem with the idea that the frequency is based on whether the airstrip is shown on the map. The strip to the south of the highway is shown on the WAC, but not the VNC. So should users be on 126.7 or area (or, perhaps, 121.1)?

Jack Ranga:
Kaz, 122.4 with your transponder on, I'll let you know what's going on at all of those places.
Presumably, only traffic also with a transponder. Would you suggest requesting flight following?

In the area I fly, I hear very little useful traffic information on area. Usually, any traffic information is given relative to an already identified aircraft - so I have no idea if they might be referring to me, without knowing where the other aircraft is. I generally go with the odds and assume it isn't.