PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 25th Feb 2014, 20:04
Bladecrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you, and many others on this thread fail to appreciate is that in attempting to discredit the fuel contents and indicating system you are actually promoting a culture where indications are no longer relied upon are indeed acted upon.
DB - I think for you to simply blame the pilot based on the limited facts available to date is premature and unfair. By doing so you also infer the police observers ignored all emergency & CRM training they had over the years too and were negligent.

I know all of the other EC135 trained crew members I fly with would query any cautions appearing on the CAD, and certainly immediately query any red warning and gong, and expect the relevant drills to be carried out. If it was something that required the termination of a task, they would inform the control room without delay explaining why. Unexpected cautions and emergency drills are something we practice regularly, yet you presume they said or did nothing, and told no one?

It is possible there may have been a fault with, or total failure of the CAD at a critical point in the flight, and SilsoeSid had done an excellent job of explaining the EC135 systems in detail with photos & videos, and shown great patience in answering the never ending technical questions, maybe you should read his recent posts again?

With a CAD failure there are no fuel level indications, no cautions to tell you if the transfer pumps are off, or if the prime pumps are on. We do not yet know for certain if the warning unit functioned correctly in displaying the red low fuel warnings at the correct supply tank levels.

Ok, the above scenario may not explain everything that happened leading up to the accident but it is worth consideration as IMHO there was more going on than an experienced police pilot & crew carrying out routine tasks and ignoring cautions and warnings until the engines flamed out.