PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Review into North Sea offshore helicopter operations announced by CAA
Old 25th Feb 2014, 20:03
cyclic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jim

I have read the report, end to end. I wasn't referring to the use of automation which I don't think is a huge problem or at least one that can be remedied very easily. You only have to look at some of the knee jerk reactions that have already taken place to see that a few topics have peen picked which aren't at the core of the problem/s. I really worry about the emphasis on post crash survival, the horse has already bolted. It needs to be reviewed and changed but isn't the answer to all the problems, nor is the use of automation. My reference is really to one of ethos, how we actually operate day to day and how we need to look with an open mind, a genuine will to thoroughly review gloves off. This forum shows how quickly "we eat our own babies" when it comes to a slightly varying point of view.

Most of the items in the review are blindingly obvious and ones that could have been implemented with a little vision long before the last accident. Why didn't we do it? Because, in my humble opinion, the ethos is not right in many respects.