PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS 1354 NTSB Investigation - CVR
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2014, 20:01
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
@OBD Thanks for all your insightful posts.

I have a few comments on your points:

2. Granted, and probably of a type that was relatively infrequent for them.

3. Not sure. they were cleared to 2,500 ft til established on the LOC and then could have descended to the 2,300 ft restriction for BASKN. Why they didn't I'm not sure. failure to set up PROF DES correctly might have been a factor.

4. They said they were tired, but I wonder if the record shows that they should have been. Doesn't seem like a terribly difficult duty day. I'm not judging though.

5. A big yes on that. Why I don't know. They were a bit behind the airplane and didn't seem to know it. the high descent rate might have contributed. Totally missed 3 key callouts.

6. Agreed. Below 1,000 ft HAT especially they should have gone missed approach, maybe even the more aggressive CFIT avoidance - but again they not vertically aware.

Agreed on the approach plate and PAPI issues

One more: I don't understand why they were unmindful of Minimums - where they should have established visual on the runway and incidentally the PAPI. There is some question whether the runway was indeed visible at MDA (1,200ft) and if not, of course, should go missed approach. All obvious to us after the fact, I understand, but the why is not so obvious.