PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 levers and more
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2014, 17:01
baobab72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AS350 levers and more

Hi guys
Watching a video on youtube about a guy named jazzpilot on how to start the astar, he was pointing at three different levers between the two seats: now taking into account that i am a plank driver who is familiar with turbine engines and with a very limited heli experience, still working on my addon in the r22, bug fascinated by any aircraft system, what are those levers for?
One, the long red lever, reckon is the Rotor Brake, i guess it morks in the same way as in the robbie where it must be disengaged prior to starting the engine.
The second, the short red lever, he mentions something about the fuel cut off, i am wondering if it controls a fso from the fuel system to the FCU of the engine or what?
The third one, the yellow one, he refers to as the FCU and has a button at the front: i believe the button controls the starter so that when pressed it energizes the starter imparting a rotary motion to the engine, cranking it up until it becomes self substaining: what is the lever controlling? Is it manually modulating the fuel delivered into the combustion chamber or to the FCU? and am i wrong or the fuel is introduced right away without waiting a minimum ng - i dont know, something like 10-12%?
One last question, hoping that i am not abusing yoir patience, is : is it normal to start an helicopter with the generator on? Cos in all the airplanes i have flown the generator was turned on only once the engine was started - even though i guess the GCU will prevent the generator from coming online until its output meet specific criteria, such as voltage output above but output.
Many thanks for your willingness

Baobab72