PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Review into North Sea offshore helicopter operations announced by CAA
Old 25th Feb 2014, 12:23
bondu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea states en-route

JimL,

I spoke to a very nice Met man at the Aberdeen Met Office about 15 months ago, who showed me the data that is now available on sea states/sig wave heights in UK waters. It is possible now, with satellite measured data, to show the sea states along a route from Aberdeen to, for example, the North Alwyn. When I asked why this wasn't available to me every day as a line pilot, he told me that was because "no-one had asked for it"!
It will probably cost the helicopter companies a little more, but on those days when sea states are an issue, it should be available.
And, as some have already pointed out on this thread, both the EC225 ditchings took place en-route, nowhere near an offshore installation.
No-one wants to see airframes in the water, but it will occur again despite all the training and improvements we are likely to see in the future. Surely, we owe it to our passengers (and ourselves!), that we cover all the bases and do all we can to ensure a safe outcome.

bondu