PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Free upgrades... for the brazen
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2014, 12:18
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife and I are flying from LHR to MEL via KUL on Malaysian later on this year. Would I be wasting my time asking at check-in for a free upgrade and what do you experienced guys think our chances are?
Have you never heard the number one rule that you NEVER, EVER ask for a free upgrade. How many times a day do you think those poor people working at the counters get asked for free upgrades ?

By all means ask if they're selling upgrades ... some carriers will sell off excess capacity at discounted rates. But just turning up and saying 'ello luv'.... got any freebies going ? know what I mean ? nudge nudge, wink wink... say no more ..." won't get you anywhere.

I've also heard rumours that Malaysian have quite strict capacity management and so chances of upgrades are minimal anyway. I've had an upgrade with Malaysian, but that was down to status alone.... the girl at checkin made it clear to me that was the case without me asking. Didn't get an upgrade on other occasions, so even status is no guarantee.