PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military 'may have to abandon flood-prone bases'
Old 25th Feb 2014, 12:10
Metman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NutLoose said:
Well you might be a MetMan, but this is in effect the winter of 2013 as traditionally the seasons run Spring, Summer, Autumn ( or fall for the colonies) then Winter..
So you have about another 10 months until we actually hit Winter 2014, or does your piece of seaweed on the washing line predict that far forward?
It wasn't me who said winter of 2014, it was BEagle! I'm innocent. Soooo innocent. Bah.

and LangleyB:
Perhaps metman would care to post the exact wording of the official Met Office winter prediction?

here is one who would certainly understand it.

thinks ....... is this the same Met Office team that promised a BBQ summer? Thought so.
More than likely the same team, yes, but at least we aren't trumpeting research and experimental forecasts all over the news as fact this time... It doesn't mean they're not at least a little useful as a form of guidance and doesn't mean they shouldn't be used, but you and I both know, they're caveatted heavily and not really suitable for public or press consumption yet because, being probablistic, they're very much open to misintepretation, particularly by those with a long standing grudge. Maybe one day they'll be suitable, maybe not. So I guess we've learned something from the BBQ summer debacle!

And no, I don't care to post the exact wording... 1. I quite like my job, 2. its not my area of expertise, and 3. I'm sure you know what our intranet site is like and how hard it is to find stuff....

Last edited by Metman; 25th Feb 2014 at 12:30.