PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile phone usage aboard.
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2014, 10:22
ExXB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Davef68
I'm not technical
Nor am I, but I know this. The decision that 1) electronic devices in (if appropriate) flight mode are no longer considered dangerous has been made. Both the US and EU have decided that such use, in flight mode, is OK gate-to-gate. The problem is that not all airlines have adopted this wise decision and now do something different than regulators have approved. Leads to confusion, misunderstandings, etc. etc. However the debate about if it is safe to use electronics is over.

Regulators have also approved 2) the use of Wifi/GSM connections between the aircraft and passengers electronic devices. This is not gate-to-gate, this is 'at cruise', and the airline's device is turned off in climb/descent. This allows access to the internet and, for some airlines, the ability to connect to ground telephone networks. Phones are not ramping up power trying to connect to ground cells as they connect easily to the aircraft's network. There is also a physical limit to the number of cells that can connect at one time and, of course, the crew can deactivate the network at any time. (Ooops, technical problem - I'll get the engineer to look at it.)

Loudmouths will be loudmouths regardless of what they have in their hands. Bans are not going to change their behaviour or their volume.

I don't want to use my phone in-flight because I think I am important. Since I have become self-employed I know I am not important. But having use of my business tools makes it easier for me to make a living. There are, for examples, windows of opportunity that I could miss if I'm not able to connect at a certain time. Why deny me these tools as long as I don't bother you.

But it appears there is still a choice. If you don't like cell phone use on your flights, fly on another airline. Remember, it is expensive for the phones to be used - meaning you are a lot less likely to get 'Honey, I'm on the plane' noises at altitude. Of course this doesn't apply once the aircraft has turned off the runway and the loudmouth has connected to his terrestrial network.