PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lake Evella crash findings
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2003, 22:29
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaunty
I am very surprised at your series of posts on this forum, and your reply to my previous post This is not what I would expect from a "well respected"person in the aviation world.
Your comment "if you are to become a professional pilot" was interesting. I have flown 15000 hours in the last 30 odd years, including time in the sacred, whizz bang multi turbine machines. You also say "It is highly unlikely that you have operated new equipment or met with factory salesmen" Yes I have.
A young man has died and this is serious. Operating small aircraft in the outback is essential, difficult work which demands a very high degree of skill, Knowledge, and self discipline. It is a very unforgiving and can appear to be deceptively simple. Lapses of discipline are a human trait and can be deadly. I recently heard of an aviation safety lecturer who was seen " beating up" vehicles on an outback road. He probably did not realise the danger of what he was doing. What is really needed is a far more positive attitude, and some more experienced pilots. This will not happen while G.A. is only considered as a way to get hours and get out of there. It will not work properly with pilots who do not want to be there. It takes time to get to be a good bush pilot, and it is an honourable profession.This is the most important flying in the country, and it is not easy.
Most G.A. aeroplanes in the outback are about one third of the way through their useful life, and their condition depends on how well they have been looked after. New aeroplanes will not stop the accidents. Accidents are usually caused by people. It is not appropriate to use this to denigrate the aeroplanes for what appear to be commercial reasons masquerading as safety.
I am sorry gaunty. Your attitude and writings do not earn my respect.
Outback Aviator