PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 25th Feb 2014, 08:16
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
I think it is important that we are specific with the terminology we use in respect of warnings cautions and indications.

As I understand it;
Warnings - Warning Panel - Red lights - Gong
Cautions - CAD display - Yellow lights - sometimes with 'beeps'
Indications - Other instrumentation

Scuffers

Originally Posted by Silsosid
There is only one warning system for fuel, the one that produces the FUEL LOW 1 & FUEL LOW 2 warnings on the single warning panel.
with respect, what do you call the fuel gauges and amber warnings then?

(or are we getting into a debate on semantics?)

the FUEL LOW 1 & FUEL LOW 2 warnings alarms are just that, last resort alarms, in normal circumstances you should never see these come on, or are you trying to suggest it's good practice to ignore your fuel gauges and carry on till you hit FUEL LOW 1 & FUEL LOW 2?
To put your quoted above post into context DB, this was in reply to your previous post;

I think the pilot did not understand the fuel system. Thats why the transfer pumps were off. The VMS recorded the correct warnings and they were ignored. As was the flight manual requirement to land. As was the Company OM MLA requirement. Airmanship in terms of time/fuel calculations also ignored. In fact just about every safety break in place had been breached. Finally a poor response to double OEI

As the report, that I'm sure you must have read, says, "The Central Panel Display System (CPDS) displays cautions and fuel status information to the pilot. It also records internal display system faults but no information relating to its indications."

The only recorded warnings were from the warning unit, as mentioned in the report, that I'm sure you must have read, "The Warning Unit has provided information on the order in which warnings were triggered during the flight but not when they occurred."

Therefore it stands that, as you quoted me saying - "There is only one warning system for fuel, the one that produces the FUEL LOW 1 & FUEL LOW 2 warnings on the single warning panel."

So, to answer your post;
(a) with respect, what do you call the fuel gauges and amber warnings then?

(b) (or are we getting into a debate on semantics?)

the FUEL LOW 1 & FUEL LOW 2 warnings alarms are just that, last resort alarms, in normal circumstances you should never see these come on, (c) or are you trying to suggest it's good practice to ignore your fuel gauges and carry on till you hit FUEL LOW 1 & FUEL LOW 2?
my bracketed letters

a. Indications and cautions.
b. Not semantics, correct terminology.
c. No I'm not.