PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2014, 08:14
bizjetway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Comments

Some honest interesting comments here.

I did the pilot career thing flying private jets first and then for 5 different airlines.
Over 15 years I saw the hours per month worked triple and the money stay the same. I then looked at colleagues that had gone off to fly long-haul and become Chief pilots and they were a nervous wreck. However, a few friends managed to find a good job flying a rich guys private jet 120-150 hrs a year and pocketing nice money.

I have always had a knack for business so I have managed to combine my love for flying with business and now sell and lease aircraft.

Would I suggest a pilot career to a young person? Well, as you know qualifying will cost you in region of £120K and the ROI is not very good. However, if you have the money and are young and REALLY want to give it a go... If you have a family it will be tough on them, this is why many pilots end up divorced. The guys doing well are usually single. However, if you manage to join a company like Lufthansa or British Airways you will end up with a good balance.

It all depends what you are looking for in life.