PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best internet solution for travelling
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2014, 07:29
ExSp33db1rd

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Question ... my wife is currently in California assessing the various iPad options, currently leaning towards the iPad Air/WiFi/3G/32Gb but ..... has been told that when purchased she has to stipulate a telecom carrier, i.e. ATT /Sprint/Verizon/T-Mobile etc. and once chosen CANNOT be changed by just buying a SIM card from another carrier. Apple shop staff and the various carriers she has visited confirm the above, i.e. once bought for 3G use an iPad is locked to that carrier for life. WiFi is of course used anywhere.

Also - she can't expect to use the cellular option in New Zealand, or maybe any other Country by just buying a local SIM card because although New Zealand has 3G capability the frequencies used in the Asia Pacific region are different to the 3G frequencies in USA/Europe etc. ??

Also - to utilise any of the GPS functions on the iPad it MUST have at least 3G(cellular) built in at purchase time, even if subsequently not buying a SIM card and using the cellular option, i.e. the GPS functions need a cellular capable innards, even if not actually activated with a SIM card.

If the above is true, and I accept that 'salesmen' will try to frighten one into buying their goods, then how does this "magic" Global Gig work in an iPad.

We are looking to use the iPad in New Zealand - mostly - but also in USA, England and France this year, mainly for e-mail and Internet info. Not into Social Media, Video Streaming etc. tho; we might want to Skype to telephones and maybe keep photos, but not necessarily e-mail them "instantly"

Thanks.