PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2014, 22:04
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But why launch a route from DUB who now has several carriers to Canada rather than BFS
This is a good question, I guess it is a good way to test the Atlantic route, a new type of operation and given the presence of AirCanada, being a full service carrier and AerLingus in the similar space for long haul , competing with these will allow WestJet to see in quite a measurable way how their model performs in what could be described as a crowded market place. This clearly is a test bed for them. I'd say they will assess the overall success if the venture and decide if this adds up, given all he costs that they might not always be used to such as staff overnighting. The impacts on peripheral things such as ancillary revenue, on board sales etc. in my view Dublin is a good market to try this in given proximity to North America.

I think that it is conceivable that BFS would be looked at if the assessment of such an operation proves fruitful ex DUB...

With DY doing long haul and Westjet testing the crossing of the pond, who knows perhaps a new breed of airline like Westjet may seek out opportunities on this island as it is reachable by 737!!! Let's hope as it's size may prove effective .