PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2014, 20:29
V-Jet

Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts
Would have liked to see SP's interview - any link or transcript??

This is concerning.
A Qantas source said the numbers had moved “a bit every day’’ in recent weeks as decisions were finalised, but that the figure of 5000 had firmed up in recent days.
Obviously not as concerning as the total incompetence and lunacy displayed every day in so many ways for the last 10ish years, but nonetheless does anyone else read that as showing (again) they don't know what they are doing?

'numbers moved "a bit every day" and 'as decisions were finalised'???

This, the MMMLXXCCCIIIV Glorious V year Plan/Pillar has been in the works for how long? And they STILL haven't got it finalised???

This is the clearest vision inside the boardroom we have had for ages/ever and it really displays to me management on the run. This is not calmly putting strategies into place, this (to me at least) simply shows panic.

My guess from those two lovely sound bites is not that they are carefully going through every part of the company, but will be in the Boardroom until 0200 EDST 27th throwing paper around in a panic STILL trying to work out what the hell they are going to do. I see AJ in a hell of a flap....

---------------------------------------

I read this with interest in the Australian this morning. Search for the article under 'Singo has news for incompetent Fairfax'. I do NOT think Singo has any place in airlines, but I liked this summation of Fairfax and think it suits Qf just as well. It would seem Australia has way too many management guru's just like BGA and not nearly enough who actually know what they are doing:

Singleton said there had been disastrous leadership from the board of Fairfax, led by Hywood and Corbett.

"Here we have what was a No. 2 media company in Australia and we've watched it disappear before our very eyes," he said.

"We've had to put up with Fred Hilmer, Conrad Black -- and just when you think you can't make matters worse, you get Roger Corbett.

"He goes in and he hires Greg Hywood. Where from? From Tourism Victoria. And does he make a decision? No. He hires management consultants."

Singleton attacked Fairfax's business operations, saying the only decent asset they had was Domain, which Fairfax is understood to be considering floating or selling for $500 million.

He criticised The Sydney Morning Herald for having a paucity of retail advertisements in its newspaper, and predicted the Australian Financial Review would be shut within a year.

"There are third-rate wankers in charge of destroying Fairfax," Singleton said.

"They will both (Corbett and Hywood) be gone in a year.

"Roger Corbett is as dead as Fairfax as far as I'm concerned.

"I'm going to watch it (Fairfax) die slowly.

"I'll wait til they are absolutely f . . ked and buy it off the receivers."

Macquarie is strong in the Sydney market, with 2GB's ratings wiping out its commercial AM and FM rivals, including Fairfax's 2UE.
PS: I do think his language could be a little less colourful (why is everyone in Australian business desperate to sound like Kerry Packer?) but the analysis could be levelled at Qantas to a 'T' - especially with regard to consultants. If you REALLY don't know what you are doing, pay someone else to tell you! I should try that with my next cyclic!! It just beggars belief!

Last edited by V-Jet; 24th Feb 2014 at 20:40.