PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - headsets - which one???????
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2003, 20:12
Circuit Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vikki - assuming you're still a stude (as your profile gives no clues) and that you're headed for life as a PPL (not with short term ambitions to be a CPL / instructor), I'd suggest you buy a headset which is OK in the short term, but gives you adequate service while you find what you like / don't like about headsets as a whole.

If you decide then that you wish to go for a David Clark or some such after a few years, then demote the cheap headset to a pax set and lash out loads of dosh on a posh headset for yourself.

One option is a Cheapo £74.86 Headset, which I've got and used as a spare / pax set for the last 3 years with no problems [honest, not advertising, BRL!!].

An alternative (of which I've also got a set) is Harry Mendelssohn HM40 £85 special - again, quite adequate for normal use and not noticably worse in performance than a DC set.

If money is no object, then the set I keep for my own use is a DC H10-40 (which I'm not sure is any longer available). Beware that David Clark sets *appear* to be more prone to incompatibility (dependant upon your avionics fit) with other makes / models. This is because of the microphone impedance, which can be resolved fairly readily by insertion of impedance matching devices. [Hope that keeps the DC lawyers off my back!!]