PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dam Buster re run
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2003, 19:25
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the second episode was the better of the two. It concentrated more on the historical aspects of the raid and less on the re enactment which was to the benefit of the programme.

Actually that re enactment then came into it's own when it highlighted some of the real difficulties the crews faced at the time. I also thought the Navigator played a blinder the whole thing seem to revolve around him in the end. Lucy the pilot did well considering the obvious limitations of the simulator, actually it was more a procedures trainer than a simulator.

The visit of Lucy to a Lanc to see Lettice Curtis while interesting, it seemed to me it served only as a kind of justification in TV terms for Lucy's role as Captain. When is the media going to lose the novelty factor of women pilots????? But in the end I believe it was fair enough to include women in the crew. Women are flying combat missions in a war as I write this. Things have moved on since 1943. I'm not ignoring the fact of female Russian combat pilots in WW2.

I thought the re enactment of the Sorpe attack was a good idea. The main factor at the Mohne dam was the flak which could not be accurately recreated. Wheras the attack simulated placed a premium on the flying skill of the pilot who came up trumps in the end.

In the end I enjoyed it. I found the part where they visited Scampton and the actual briefing room where the raid was introduced to the crews particularly evocative. Will that room be preserved I wonder? It really ought to be.