PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - power on stalls - some help would be lovely!
Old 24th Feb 2014, 13:27
glendalegoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
localflighttest

I encourage you again to read, "STICK AND RUDDER".

Once you have reduced the angle of attack below the stalling angle of attack the controls work just fine. Ailerons, when the plane is NOT stalled may be used to level the wings.

when you stall, push forward AND NOW YOU ARE NOT STALLED, things work normally now. (and even in modern planes there is something called washout which causes the inboard portion of the wing to stall first, leaving the ailerons functional. Key word modern planes. Early planes had the ailerons stall first, or that portion of the wing)

I agree with madjock that for many years it was taught to dance on the rudder pedals to level the wings while holding the plane in the stall. There is no real good reason to do this.

That your instructor is a she means nothing here. In many aviation texts, the introduction expressly indicates that he actually means he/she.

Now, you MAY be over controlling and somehow entering a secondary stall.

So, once again, at this level of flying. AT first indication of a stall, push forward (usually just a small amount, or even the term, ''relax back pressure" is used) on the control wheel and simultaneously level the wings and add full power. AVOID a secondary stall.

Do ailerons work while in non stalled flight? Yes. Using all controls for coordinated flight is key. Oh, do you use just ailerons in making a turn? No, you should be using coordinated aileron and rudder.

Again, invest in your own copy of "stick and rudder" and many of your concerns will be addressed in what is virtually the bible of airplane control

For example once I realised that I had a habit of leaning forward in my seat when doing steep turns, I understood that this was what was making me inadvertently push the nose down.
regarding leaning forward while in steep turns.

perhaps you are doing this because as you turn in a high wing plane, you were trying to see to ''clear'' the area in the direction of the turn.