PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1982 Task Force Question
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2014, 13:25
Marcantilan

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks for all the replies, special thanks for Navaleye.

First of all, I am not chasing the "sinking theory" or whatever its called that sci-fi story.

I am writting an essay for the 1982 South Atlantic Air Military Congress , sponsored by the Argentine Air Force (on early September this year). My subject of study is this attack, but for now only for the British point of view.

Is about what the fleet (and some RAF personnel there) saw and how reacted to the attack.

It was a daring raid, maybe the "most daring" from the Argentine side, and the Task Force behaved really well in defense. An interesting day to analyze, I think.

I did a lot of research in the matter. I searched the National Archives (at Kew) from top to bottom, researched in the IWM audio library (a good account of Exeter`s CO there), readed various books and articles, and interviewed: a Lynx pilot who saw the events (part of his recollections already quoted in this thread), a radar operator in HMS Cardiff, an aircraft handler at HMS Invincible and the First Lt. of HMS Avenger. And really, I am just beginning!

If anyone was there at the time or have info about the event (and is interested in sharing it), please let me know via PM. I must say that, being Argentine, the first thing people ask me is about the "sinking theory" and if I am into it. Again, my answer is a big no.

Navaleye,

Force disposition at the event of the attack as follows:

The graphic above represents that. Really, in the beginning of the attack HMS Avenger headed south (because the axis of the attack was misunderstood) but all the fleet moved to 060º.

I will watch the documentary. Thanks for the heads up!

Best regards,
Mariano

PD: If anyone is interested in the congress (http://www.fuerzaaerea.mil.ar/histor...greso_2014.pdf ) please let me know. I know the Congress is interested in British lecturers.