PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - power on stalls - some help would be lovely!
Old 24th Feb 2014, 12:38
localflighteast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power on stalls - some help would be lovely!

Some background: I'm slowly plodding away at my PPL, enjoying it more than I ever thought possible.

I've got about 10 hours solo, a mixture of in the circuit and solo out to our practice area. I was bout to do my dual the solo X country before winter hit big time, so now my instructor and I are concentrating on bringing my flying up to flight test standards. it's been going really well. We do a set of airwork dual and then the next couple of lessons I go up and do them solo.

All was fine until I hit the power on stalls. I'm in a C172 and we are doing them at about 1600-1700rpm. Just straight and level stalls but we are getting a little bit of a wing drop. A problem , of course that i am making worse.

I cannot seem to stop myself putting aileron input in when recovering. Believe me I know I shouldn't be. I've seen what happens when I do. I think I almost span it once because I was stupid.

I just can't seem to physically stop myself yanking the yoke around.

My instructor thinks that i just need practice. he's done all the usually stuff like making me take my hands of the yoke completely while he stalls the plane and I just use the rudder and throttle to recover. but i just can't physically stop myself when its my turn.

Any suggestions would be great. I've picked up some really good tips about the actual physical inputs from here. My landings became much better when I sorted out my seating position , as did my steep turns. I was just hoping that someone would have a pearl of wisdom for this problem that would make everything click into place.

Thanks in advance