PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia's 'new' Boxkite
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2014, 10:52
JDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments! Some in return - We ~ hope ~ it will be flying at the RAAF Centenary of Military Aviation airshow at Point Cook on 1 & 2 March - next weekend. Whatever options we get, the Boxkite will be on public display, so do come and say 'G'Day' if you can do it.

'Fantome' - the Dep was known as the 'Dirty Dustbin' by the instructors and students at Point Cook, and quickly relegated - looks, clearly aren't everything, as the Boxkites and BEs were bent, and repaired and bent and fixed and ultimately a second Boxkite was actually built at Point Cook, due to demand!

I will see if I can post the Petre 50th pic.

I have a copy of the Tommy White bent Boxkite pic, another image with a tale to tell...

Offchocks - there are sadly no original Boxkites left, but there were no-less than three replicas built for that great film Mag Men (and yes, 'joy ride', we are watching out for gap-toothed cads). The Shuttleworth example (flown for Shuttleworth by Dickie, but by Air Commodore Alan Wheeler CBE in the film) is one of these the other two are (static) at the Bristol Museum and the (Australian) Museum of Army Flying at Oakey, QLD. Shuttleworth have been flying their 'standard' Boxkite for nigh-on a half-century now, after it was donated to them, post film, by Bristol, and so they have been a wonderful precedent for the Australian project.

Regards,