PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight school now and pay later has to stop
Old 24th Feb 2014, 09:07
pilotchute

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flight school now and pay later has to stop

I am hearing more and more now of people who did flight school and an Associates or Bachelors "Degree" at any number of providers who can get the good old Aussie taxpayer to fund it all and they can pay later.

The problem I have is the final bill can be around 80 to 90 thousand Australian dollars. Medical training doesn't cost that much nor does a degree in Engineering or Economics. I'm all for the level playing field and what about the "poor" kids who want to be pilots but to get into Med/Eng/Comm you had to get a very high score for your final HSC exams. The Associate Degree with a CPL only requires an ATAR of 52.55! You could sleep for most of High School and get better than than. Engineering required at least 80 and medicine in the high 90's. If you want to be a pilot and can score over 90 for your Uni entrance exams be my guest to the Govt purse, you have earned it! If you can barely make it over 50 maybe you should think about other career paths as you clearly had problems staying awake during school.

I can also say that a Med/Eng/Comm graduate has a much better chance of finding a job in their field than a 200 hour CPL with a useless bit of Uni paper.

We had a shortage of CPL holders in 2006 for about 5 minutes so why is it that 7 years later we are still letting people put flight training on the Govt purse when there is clearly no need for it??

Greedy Uni's maybe?