PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best internet solution for travelling
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2014, 20:39
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best internet solution for travelling

I live in Australia but frequently travel to the USA and Europe as my job dictates. (Global Express pilot)

An ongoing problem has been high roaming charges for data / internet when overseas.

I have a bag full of 3/4G devices from various countries and a dozen travel sims that work to varying degrees.

But I have finally found a really great "all in one solution"

A company called "Global Gig" Globalgig - Low cost mobile broadband data in 40 countries or outside Australia Globalgig ? Mobile broadband with no data roaming charges

They have two versions, a 3 G wifi modem or sim cards for use directly in an iPad / Android device.

I have been trialling both for the last month in the USA and am now in Italy and I have to say, they work great.

I have the 3G device, which connects up to 5 devices, and I also have their sim card in an iPad.

It works great in Europe, the USA and Australia, They have various plans but I have the "jet setter" plan on both versions, $49 per month for 5GB valid in 11 countries. No extra roaming charges.

Speeds are pretty good and I can watch Youtube without buffering 80% of the time, it is perfect for browsing and Emails. In the USA I was using Google Maps for navigating on an iPad and the Global Gig sim never missed a beat.

I don't work for them, but just sharing a great find. If you travel, this is the way to avoid crazy roaming internet charges.

It is only data, no phone calls.

I have tried many solutions and so far this is the best.