PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just want an internet connection
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2014, 18:57
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sigh...

It would be helpful if you substantiated your occasional rants against BT with some cold hard facts for the benefit of others.
They are not rants, I'd love to expand, but don't have the time to write up all the detail.

Both technically and commercially, they are very poor value products, and the post-sales support is horrendous.

Just this weekend I've been helping someone as a favour, they've got four BT residential lines .... their bill last quarter was £600..... £330 of which was being spent on line rental which BT inflated with artificial and useless bundle packages... sold under the pretext of saving people money with "anytime calls" and international bundles which saved them absolutely no money on calls they were billed for anyway.... only a small percentage of calls actually fell under the bundles. Having worked my magic, next quarter based on the same call pattern, their call charges will be £45 plus whatever the resulting basic PSTN line rental came to with all the crap removed.... as an example of "unnecessary crap" ... BT were charging them £1.50+VAT a month per line for "privacy service" which..... yes, primarily constitutes BT registering them on their behalf on the free TPS service !

Do you seriously think BT can sell £7/month broadband packages without cutting corners .....you get what you pay for in this life. It is simply not commercially viable to structure a decent product for £7 a month. BT rely on volume which comes with the associated FAPs, contention and many other things. Why do you think they need the BT Sport carrot to dangle in front of unsuspecting punters... or how about the cheeky way you pay BT on an opt-out basis to provide WiFi for others by them using your router as a Openzone/FON hotspot they carefully don't tell you about the big favour you're doing them on their TV adverts or in their marketing bumpf....

There is no comparison between a cheap BT broadband and more robust broadband..... but most people are just too stingy to cough up £35+ a month. Top of the range broadband, such as offered by Easynet LLU at around £64 a month for 20Mb is chalk and cheese from BT .... the structure of the Easynet service is excellent and I can call up a UK based support desk, get through to people who are on the ball and know their network inside out (no Level 1 script reading monkeys), the service gets proactively monitored, and there's a repair time SLA on it. Try getting that out of BT for £7 a month !

Last edited by mixture; 23rd Feb 2014 at 19:48.