PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal Tales
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2014, 15:50
dubbleyew eight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apocryphal tales...

There were a series of really spooky reports of UFO activity on the Nullabor Plain.

(for the geographically challenged the Nullabor is on the south side of the middle of Australia)

Truck drivers doing a lonely run across the Nullabor at night seemed to see the greatest number of UFO's.
Their reports were all similar. They'd be driving along with not a single other piece of traffic for miles when there would be an almighty roaring sound and a really bright light would flood the area. then the roaring would stop and blackness would descend around them again.
Naturally the truckie would be scared out of his wits but often they would stop and hop out to have a look around.
Nothing.
Absolutely nothing around to give an indication of what the UFO looked like.
occasionally they would see a meteorite streaking across the sky.

Tales of the UFO encounters seemed to stop when the F111 was taken off active training.

The unsubstantiated rumour was that F111 crews doing low level night navigation exercises would sneak up at high speed on a solitary truck on the highway and pull up in a 'dump and burn' with full afterburner, peeling off at 70,000 ft and, killing the afterburner, would streak off to complete the nav exercise.
all unsubstantiated of course....

certainly put the wind up a lot of truckies. ...or so I'm told.