PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just want an internet connection
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2014, 08:18
henry_crun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just an ornery simple guy - this is what I did:

I contacted BT and asked for a broadband phone line. They set everything up and sent me a router (BT Home Hub 3). You don't have to be in when they deliver, cos it has no value to anyone else, they just leave it in a handy place.

The router plugs into your phone socket and also needs a mains supply. There is an adapter so you can still plug your voice phone in. Best to keep it close to the main phone socket, but if you have to extend they can provide extra adapters with "filters" to separate voice and broadband.

The router has a pull-out card with the "Wireless Key" written on it. To connect your laptop you need to look on your laptop for your wifi hub and enter the Wireless Key when prompted. This is remembered, so it is a one-off operation.

You can connect several items, I think mine is five, so you get wifi on your phone as well, and can connect to your printer, kindle etc though wifi. You can also connect your phone or laptop to any other BT router at a cafe, friend's house or whatever free of charge by entering your account password. As can any other BT subscriber use your router (at no cost to you).

Leave the router powered up full-time because they send updates, usually overnight.

The cost of broadband is fifteen or twenty pounds a month on top of the line rental. There are various tariffs, I had a limited one at first but eventually transferred to unlimited, only a few pounds more, so I can watch vids and listen to the radio without worrying if I go over the monthly data limit.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy!