PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inquiry about Pilot Cadet ships in Australia
Old 23rd Feb 2014, 01:57
johnappleseed123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inquiry about Pilot Cadet ships in Australia

Hi,

I'm currently in high school and want to become a commercial airline pilot. Currently i have two options.

1) There is a university degree which lasts 4 years.
University of South Australia > Program > Bachelor of Aviation
University of South Australia > Program > Graduate Diploma in Aviation

The first 3 years are all theory and no flying and it covers a wide range of aviation topics most of which are not needed to become a pilot. The fourth year is an extension from the first 3 years and is apart of the universities flight school. It isn't airline sponsored or anything which means i would have to look for a job on my own after i finish this.

2) I apply for an airline sponsored cadet-ship. At the moment, Virgin Australia is offering the best one for me because of the location. Qantas has suspended its program and I have no idea if they will ever re open it. If I apply for the Virgin Australia program there's a big chance I wont get selected. Approx 1200 people applied and 8 get selected so its a big gamble.

What is the better option? Are there any better cadet-ships available? and if anyone has applied to any of these and went through the process i would be more than grateful if you would share your experience.

Thank you