PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of 100 hourly's
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2014, 22:35
yr right

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmmm

Well as an LAME now entering my 35 year in the industry ill tell you all this. The LAME has been suberizing the industry for ever. But know its stopping. People are leaving in droves. You see anyone can become a pilot, have a look around how many people do you know that don't make it. Not everyone wants to work for the airlines. When we sign off we are liable for that aircraft for the next 12months and that means every thing that has taken past prior to that date as well.
I've use this before so have a think about this. Then next have a think about what we do how we do it and why we do it, and then ask why would we do it.

If you have a heart problem and you require surgery. Who you going to get to do it. New guy 70k a year he is on. Next guy really good 150k a year or the professor well he is the best 300k a year. Now when I ask well everyone with out emptions has said well 1st guy no, he not going to be leaning on me. 3rd guy yep but I cant afford him so 2nd fella can afford him and should be good. When I ask but you could use the 1st guy , oh he has my life in his hands. MMM good point, now I say this. tomorrow when you leave here and this engine I've just installed goes buuuuurrrrrbbb bubble brrrrrr and stops and you go oh f%&* and you look beside you and behind you now who is worth more than what you are paying us. Now remember CASA requirements are set by law, in most cases local areas have different ideas strange but true. When an aircraft has an incident every thing is look at from the front to the back. We are presumed guilty and have to prove innocence. Where else is that in Australia.
As for rates well most Toyota, Holden Ford are when worked out $140 an hour. Now look at manuals and keeping them updated. Basic library's $25k plus at a minimum. Now you have to keep it updated another 5k a year for that service. Now for paper work oh gee we just love paper we dream about it NOT, this is part of doing the job we have to do. Now we have CASA audits getting a x against you name cause the sheet of ally hasn't got a grn at both ends of the sheet or the store door is unlocked or your tool box is messy { **** me im working ********} you haven't got a date on that piece of paper you have just printed off the m/m. Or my all time favourite is you haven't put on your work sheet what you done it too, meaning instead of have done iaw C185 M/M you now have to say cause it may be confused that you may have used the a Boeing 747 m/m. C/O IAW C185 M.M chap 32/03/05. Now add that cost into your bill.
The biggest problem is that most private people cannot afford to own and run a private aircraft, sad but true. LAMEs are leaving the industry quicker and more now than ever before and are not being replaced, now the way CASA has been manipulated by a certain airline to change the licencing that is now sending it maintenance of shore the problem is going to get much worse, I don't advise anyone to come into the industry anymore I steer them away.
Aircraft engineering is far more complex than you can ever imagine. Just to keep in touch with rule changes to keep people in jobs threat of fines hanging over you if you make a mistake plus all the other commercial pressures that are also carried by the LAME. At the end of the day an hourly rate that is way to low. Im sorry if you think its to high well tuff, my advise to you start paying more before you will really have to pay more.

Now as why we do it ?