PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Entering autos: discussion split from Glasgow crash thread
Old 22nd Feb 2014, 22:33
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
AnFI, I don't seem to be able to find the hp gauge in the cockpit so is my VSI calibrated in hp, brake hp or shaft hp?

Of course you know that hp is derived from torque at various rpm so you will need to know the exact rpm of the engine at any moment to calculate the hp - that's a lot of extra stuff to think about when you are flying but I know how brilliant you are

For those not stuck in the Dark ages - one hp equals 0.76 Kw (that is a kilowatt an FI, the watt being the SI term for power) Or shall we just use the torque gauge that the nice man who made the helicopter gave us? (yes I know not every helicopter has a Tq meter but which RFM has limits based on hp????)

RotorIP - don't worry, he has got lots of stuff like this that he believes everyone should teach

Sorry Crab only just saw your (strangely rude, brash, sarcastic and unpleasant, why?) ref to my post.
I think you did possibly miss my point.
YES your VSI is effectively a Power Meter... where ROC or ROD are effectively measures of the Energy/Time (Power) either required from Fuel (most likely) to give you Height(energy)/time or the Energy rate (Power) contributed from Height (Loss) rate and so not required from Fuel (or Speed or RRPM).
So it just gives a handy picture of wtf is going on when you waggle your sticks around, in case you were interested. So a Torque meter doesn't do that for you.
The Hp is interesting because it fits elegantly with the units we use. You don't need a calculator to work out you need to put the lever down, but a little general understanding of the scale and value of the energy resource you have and the rate you use it under different circumstances isn't actually going to do you much harm, it might even help?
Each 330lbs your aircraft weighs is worth a Hp per unit on the VSI. - hardly rocket science. You probably know the Hp required for cruise, at least?
Brake or shaft doh! haha neither its 'ball park' Hp (conversion efficiencies etc).
("ball or aersol" neither it's for my armpits)
( A Hp is 330lbs at 100fpm, of course you can do it all in SI if you want its just not as pretty and you will need a calculator
and yes I think at the least crusty old sea dogs like you should understand some of this stuff, maybe even enjoy, but... scoff if you like. )

I'd probably listen respectfully if you wanted to tell me how to land in brown out on NVGs on one eye and landing light with the other eye, in 80kts wind, on a pitching deck 400miles out etc etc ooops wtf can't u be slightly respectful?
Time of month again? BTW have you been pulled into this Civvy SAR thing yet?

.... and RotorIP you seem to have been corrected by Jim Eli I see (thank you) re 1sec/2sec.