PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pulling out of Singapore ??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2014, 19:42
Jay Arr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
extralite wrote:

Just did the Singapore Brisbane business class last night, pretty full flight, 747-400 flown by 2 captains. Was a great service, cabin service manager was energetic, recalled everyone's name on the top deck. Good seats/beds. I think the lounge in Singapore is excellent too. (Someone commented earlier it looks like a bar in Gosford )

It is hard to believe that with such great people, and with Australians generally with all other things being equal,preference to fly QANTAS that the airline could be going backward so fast.

Maybe naive but i think a good manager could turn it around fast. First obviously restore routes to UK and codeshare on to Euroope via Asia as a top priority. I like most others i know wont fly via Dubai. Then market it as the safe and reliable option flown by Australians, not necessarily the very cheapest. Once there is demand, everything else takes care of itself.

Anyway congrats to all those working hard at Qantas like the people last night. Hope the right management comes soon.
extralite, thanks for your kind comments. I was the safety F/O on your flight. One of the two Captains was doing refresher training as a result of some time off work due medical. Those two guys (both Senior Check Captains) are amongst Qantas' finest pilots, really focused on doing 100% for their passengers and great blokes to fly with (and to have checking you in the simulator, but that's another story!).

And yes, the load was very healthy. Being a relatively short night sector, it is always tough for the cabin crew to get everyone fed, watered AND allow some time for passengers to sleep. But my observations were that the cabin crew made an outstanding team and did a sterling job.

Crews like that and support like yours will help Qantas get through this latest storm.