PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Review into North Sea offshore helicopter operations announced by CAA
Old 22nd Feb 2014, 18:01
cyclic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto-arming floats, Cat A rebreathers, slimmer passengers, smooth seas - NS problems solved - phew, there was me thinking this could take a while, thank goodness we have the CAA and NDB holds.

Why is the majority of this report actions regarding survivability of a crash? Are the CAA saying that a crash is inevitable? Are the real safety issues being addressed or is this the CAA (government) looking for a good way to pacify our passengers? Limits on sea state were introduced after two of the recent incidents by all three companies I think, but the first week it impacted on commercial ops, the restrictions were deemed unnecessary. Who were the pilot group that were consulted? Does anyone know of someone that was consulted outside of management? Is the CAA as the regulator really in touch with what actually happens and if so, why have all their actions been after the event? They can't claim to be short of cash judging by how much they charge for an outdated licence document, just as an example.

We had spoken up about sea state, night bow decks, Dacon scoops (good prospect of recovery...WTF) and the like but nobody wanted to listen after each incident/accident. Even now, decisions we make are still being questioned and that is something that would surprise our passengers. Do I think we have moved on? Yes, a little, but the regulator's intervention is aimed incorrectly and is too little too late. The current mini-boom creates a whole new raft of problems which they had better get a grip of quickly. As someone who has contributed significantly to the coffers of the regulator I am a little disappointed. Our fixed wing brethren must be having a good giggle. As for BALPA...