PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 22nd Feb 2014, 14:54
Art of flight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just read all the posts since I last posted, very useful pics/vids from Sid, if he manages to post some of the fuel cautions with the CAD off-line I think some of you who have outright condemned Dave will start to think again as to what Dave may have been working with. I remain open minded until the Final complete AAIB report is published.

Whatever you take from the interim report, please remember that the AAIB and manufacturers are still investigating at least one display related fault. I have flown this model of 135 without the CAD, VEMDs and even ND and all pilots are routinely tested on their knowledge of system and display failures and how to manage what is left.

It might also be the time to point out that I know of at least one aircraft (EC135T2) that suffered a double Red fuel low warning failure. Only unmasked when the pilot was asked by the engineers to run the fuel down to minimum for a tank inspection, and the warnings never came on!

Some wanted to know about gloves. They are issued (RAF kid-skin white or green Flying gloves). All police crew have them and most directly employed pilots, many TFOs choose not to wear them as camera laptop controls and other role kit such as camera data cards is really fiddly but they do have them to hand in case of the need to fight cockpit fire etc. During my time on helicopters for Army and Police I wore them, the only time I didn't was flying R22 in training and a short period of corporate on AS355. Must admit it felt more odd not to wear them (that goes for the helmet too). In my opinion they don't interfere with identification and operation of the switches.