PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Average hours to first solo
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2014, 11:26
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daverehm: My first piece of advise: don't listen to all of the willy-waving superheroes here - you know the ones I mean, those who are born sky-gods, those who go solo after just 20 minutes airtime? They will just depress you and, as you've already noted, make you put yourself under pressure.

First things first, it's not a race, you are learning to fly for your own satisfaction (I hope) so just understand you are learning at your pace, not someone else's.

Secondly, you won't even be able to take the skills test to get your PPL licence until you've done a minimum 45 hours, of which 10 MUST be solo so it really doesn't matter whether you solo at 10 hours or 35 hours; also, don't be despondent and think that "you aren't getting it" because you (or at least your instructor) will note that once you start going solo, your learning curve steepens quite sharply.

Thirdly, I seem to recall the average was 50 - 70 hours if people aren't doing full time courses because of a cycle of "learn - forget - relearn".

I soloed with 27 hours in the book so if you went solo tomorrow, your progress is better than mine was..... :-)