PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 22nd Feb 2014, 10:29
falcon900

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Whilst I can understand why DB says what he says, I think it is still premature to dump this on the pilot.
The following illustrates my reasoning for this.
Even if the aircraft hadnt crashed, it would have arrived back at base below MLA, leading to grief of some form for the pilot. Yet he accepted not one but two additional taskings on his way back from Dalkeith. Logic would suggest that the only explanations for this would be:
a) pilot incompetence - a non starter in this instance.
b) Pilot taking leave of his senses - ditto
c) Pilot misled regarding actual fuel contents
As would be apparent from my earlier posts, I am convinced that c) is the explanation, and that the fuel probe fault is the culprit.
Why were the transfer pumps off? they had been switched off earlier in the flight as the warnings had begun to appear more frequently as the main tank approached empty. We all know that they should have been switched back on, so why didnt he? Possibly because the fuel gauges still showed the supply tanks to have plenty fuel (erroneously). He would expect to have to play tunes on the transfer pumps later to top up the supply tanks, but that did not appear to be necessary at this point. (side comment, why can the transfer pumps not be automated??) .
No amber fuel contents warning, due to fuel probe fault. Red warnings appear very near home, but contents gauges still showing fuel in the supply tanks (erroneously) and fuel in the main tank (correctly). All of his thinking during the mission had been conditioned by the gauged contents, and he had made several decisions based on them. He was convinced they had enough fuel.
Pilot faced with a choice of which inputs to believe, elects to believe gauges rather than lights, carries on as normal. Engine flameout, supply tank still showing adequate fuel, suspects engine pump, swithces prime pumps on.
Clearly speculation on my part, but does seem to join quite a few of the dots together in a way which puts the pilots actions in a different light