PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe - 6
Thread: FlyBe - 6
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2014, 09:57
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DH8D v AT76 v 175 v 195 v 319

The prop decision will be the interesting one and just some observations from the BHX schedules the last couple of days.

At least one DH8D "went missing" in Amsterdam yesterday afternoon (just positioned back) with one having already been replaced by a 195 on the afternoon Belfast, this was also compounded by problems with the 175 where BHX ended up with four (one was Jersey - Gatwick for some reason) but only two actually flying resulted in the much-maligned (cost-wise) 195 coming to the rescue once again.

The BHX base only has one 195 scheduled to operate in the week but actually three were flying yesterday, two of which on Q400's flight and the missing 175 flight (Glasgow) had to be cancelled. This morning it appears the first Belfast flight was cancelled, the second delayed at least three hours and this mornings Amsterdam is yet to depart.

The solution - ATR's? Well the AT76 seems to be a bit better than the ATR42 and ATR72 -500 but it might worthwhile flybe looking at Arann's OTP at times at BHX. To be fair most have suffered due to strong winds this winter but if this is going to be a feature of future winters it is something that needs to be considered.

Last Friday during the 21 inbound diverts the ORK-BHX diverted out of BHX to MAN! The last day or so has only seem one Arann cancellation, last night's Dublin but whether this was tech or operational I don't know and I would say it is the latter for today's four hour delay on the inbound Arann Dublin as this happened last Saturday....not just flybe with delays.

I doubt few aircraft offer the reliability of the 195 but if you can't fill them and the lease costs are too high I suppose you are going to have to always settle for second best but just maybe the 319 is their best bet for those longer routes if they intend to continue with them.

As for the prop debate the Q400 seems best when it is serviceable but patience must be wearing thin.

Pete