PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 47-year old C150 damaged in Moorabbin accident
Old 22nd Feb 2014, 09:24
MakeItHappenCaptain

Location: Hollister, Hilo, Pago Pago, Norfolk Is., Brisbane, depending which day of the week it is...
Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Really? What a "bit of turbulence" is to the instructor can mean something else entirely to a first time TIF student.. To quote from the CASA Flight instructors Manual again: "If possible the flight should be made in good weather, as many potential pilots have been frightened away by a rough and unpleasant first flight."
Use a little bit of common sense here.

My comment was directed at the fact many EOC flights need to be encouraged to move the controls further. I was definitely not advocating that you conduct the TIF when there's a sigmet current.

Centaurus, if my willingness to give a potential student as high a quality experience as possible results in that student not coming back, then it can be said I am doing the wrong thing, but I'm sure that after over ten years and a couple of thousand hours of instructing, I think I (and more importantly my company) would notice if none of my TIFs were coming back.

That ain't the case...

Many instructors have many different ways of doing things. Techniques I use may work better for some students than others. Other instructors may have a different tact to achieve the same aim, but remember, this industry is definitely not one size fits all. I'm not trying to say all instructors must let their TIFs do the take off. I don't let all mine do it either, but the original comment was that it is neither illegal nor stupid if you choose to do so and I stand by that.

Clearly the intent is to do this at cruise altitude - not a take off and climb.
If that is the intent, then it would say though if the student appears to be comfortable the student should be allowed to ‘follow the instructor through’ on the controls and even manipulate them for a short while in the cruise.

That, again, ain't the case...

Last edited by MakeItHappenCaptain; 22nd Feb 2014 at 10:17.