PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS 1354 NTSB Investigation - CVR
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2014, 21:27
tubby linton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OBD yes we go back to the N/A box on the chart. And we have discussed it , but the crew do not mention it nor justiify their decision to fly the approach based upon the notam. Was the notam even included in their briefing pack and it was issued months before? I am trying to make the point that if I woke you up in the middle of the night and showed you the chart , would you
A notice the N/A box and B think that there was a notam telling you to disregard it?Jepp are to blame for not changing the chart but we as posters on pprune all missed it. The dispatcher is alleged to have noticed which is why he thought the crew would fly the rnav approach but he failed to bring this to the crew's attention. If there was such an ambiguity should UPS not have issued a notice alerting their crews and requested a correction from Jeppesen. They should have banned operations to the runway using that approach until the matter had been cleared up.In flight operations you should plan that your z list team will always end up trying to land at the most challenging airport despite your best efforts to send them elsewhere and do the best to keep them alive.
What I did not gather from the hearing yesterday was when the crew planned this part of their duty. It was a multi sector night so did they receive the paperwork at the start of the evening, when you would hope that they would have been at their sharpest or on the turnround prior to their last sector? Was it given to them in a well lit office with a set of charts available or on the flight deck. The A300 cockpit isn't particularly well lit and I and my coleagues often struggle to complete a manual loadsheet in the gloom so reading a multi page briefing when you are tired is going to be difficult.

Last edited by tubby linton; 21st Feb 2014 at 21:50.