PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 47-year old C150 damaged in Moorabbin accident
Old 21st Feb 2014, 20:40
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Fright Sim

Centaurus,

You are correct that a Synthetic Trainer or even a PC can be a useful training aid but there IS a very real negative transfer between unsupervised recreational use of PC flight sims and the real aircraft.

My theory is that due to the limited field of vision in a PC sim the stude is reliant on gauges for all their information. It's great that they can read gauges, yes, but if you are unaware of their preferences they will go to gauges in preference to attitude all the time.

I find it is avoided quickly & simply by asking if they have played Flight Sims a lot and if so, highlight the potential pitfalls at the start. Watch their eyes when flying, etc.

The other potential complication in this discussion: maybe nerd-boy Flight Sim addict has very little spatial awareness or hand-eye coordination in the real 3D world beyond his bedroom?

The guys who work outside or ride motorbikes or play footy all make better flying students - maybe not so hot on the theory or getting Met on a computer though.

Finally: I can't remember who wrote it but someone mentioned letting the stude in a TIF have a go at steering etc to assess their ability, then giving them as much of the takeoff as they can safely handle. Agree 100%... but they have to be happy that you have total control from the RHS if required, understand handover/takeover, and so on.