PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS 1354 NTSB Investigation - CVR
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2014, 19:41
tubby linton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apologies i meant to write that no mention was made by the crew regarding the approach was not authorised at night Box on the chart at any time during the flight. We did discuss this on this forum and the minima box stated simply not available at night without any caveat regarding vgsi.
Now imagine you have been awake for twelve plus hours , you are at your circadian low, and I ask you to justify this approach is legal whilst moving at 250 plus kt. Try and dig out the notam from 25 plus pages of briefing probably printed on a poor quality printer with a prehistoric printer ribbon and then tell your colleague why you cannot fly this approach or why you can and formulate a plan about what you are going to do.The clock is running towards your next report time for another series of night flights. Every minute in the air is a minute less sleeping . This is when rules and sop tend to drift away.
This restriction on the chart should have been formulated during the turnround and a plan produced. (Jeppesen have admitted that the notam was missed and have corrected the chart.)
The crew flew an approach which was not authorised and busted their minima.They recognised that the approach was unstable but the final gate at Imtoy was ignored. If they were that far off the profile at that point they should have gone around. This approach though as currently drawn does not have a lot of references to monitor the vertical profile. There are only two altidues published and they are at BASKN and IMTOY. Ideally you want a chart which shows range against altitude for a selection of distances.
According to the testimony the dispatcher thought they would fly the Rnav but did not want to talk down to the pilot. It is a great case of assuming and we all know what happens if you do.

I have not seen an ntsb hearing before and from this side of the pond I was quite impressed. I did notice that some specific questions and points were asked by the chairwoman to be less specific but whilst this may be for the public benefit,in private I hope that the points that participants were trying to make have been logged.
Finally, I don't care whether the FO has posed in some photographs. She is not here to defend herself and both crew members have paid with their lives for their ommisions and mistakes.