PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS 1354 NTSB Investigation - CVR
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2014, 17:23
tubby linton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been reading the approach set up again and it appears that the crew were reading from a written script. The atis does not mention the possibility of low cloud which appeared in the metar remarks but had not appeared in the briefing material. In my airline we always include the weather in the brief as it has a bearing on who flies and who lands (Monitored approach philosophy).
I think the crew completely missed the N/A on the chart. The majority of those posting on the subject missed it as well and we are sitting here at a pc and probably more awake than this crew.

The Captain discusses in his brief how he will discontinue the approach at various stages and then fails to execute this. The final gate was at the 3.3nm point when it was obvious that he approach was unstable but this crew continues.( I think they were about two-three hundred feet high)

As to the crew being fixated they had already been making a mental model of their rest period and the transport to the hotel before they had even dispatched. The approach was just a part of the journey back to bed and some rest before another series of night flights. They had also been discussing how much rest had been achieved before duty had commenced.
To me this is pilot shorthand for saying I am tired and I am not as sharp as I should be.

From the CVR:

"and I was out in that sleep room and when my alarm went off I mean
I'm thinkin' I'm so tired..."

I think that cargo pilots can feel aggrieved that the FAA values their safety less than a passenger pilot by not applying the new FTL to them.