PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2014, 16:25
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC, most your post is correct, there are lots of shabby jobs in aviation, with people desperate to move on. It is a realistic expectation that the first job you get post training may be one of these, but like everyone did 30 years ago trugging around in a Chieftain that had so many faults it was a miracle that you got to destination, you bide your time and move on when the opportunity arises. I think many of the gripes on pprune are from people who thought this was a one way ticket to an easy life, which it is not. Over the years there has been periodic attacks on the life in every airline going, remember when VS put the 747 classic fleet and its pilots out the door? VS was not flavour of the month for years. Ever spent the evening in the bar with a bunch of BA pilots? They could winge on forever about how awful their lot is! And actually, even the BA guys do have a point, nothing is as good as it was. Bottom of the seniority list, on a different contract and a bidline system does not make for happy bunnies.
I differ with you on your last point, I'm glad you are having an amazing time and I hope you can remember those times if the going gets tough for you. I enjoy the same lifestyle as you, but, that same lifestyle would have been absolute hell when I had a young wife and family back at home. Which was the precise point of my original post, you have to try and tailor your job and life so they don't clash and that is the way to enjoy a career as a pilot.
Enjoy the beach!