PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those with a frozen ATPL
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2002, 15:25
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shanks. .thank you for posting those figures. If you look at them carefully, you'll see that they're nowhere near as bad as we'd feared. Today's announcement was a further 5800 job cuts; your figures are for the entire 13,000 cut since September 11th (and not due to have fully taken effect until 2004). The 400 pilot job losses were part of the original 7200, and have already largely been achieved.. .Look carefully at the others, and you will discover that today's extra job losses are in support (admin and engineering) rather than operations. While I feel sorry for those affected, this is a long-overdue adjustment in one of the world's most over-manned companies, and will positively affect the company's bottom line - if it's done well! And the timescale suggested leaves plenty of scope for these job cuts to be achieved by natural wastage and early retirement.. .The 10 routes to be cut have yet to be announced, and the 50 aircraft 'to be withdrawn' is only relative to Summer 2001 - most have already gone. The short-haul fleet changes will upset many of those comfortable with their current bases, but the vast majority will still have a job!. .As for the implications for Wannabes, I suspect that the resumption of CEP recruiting is no further away than it was yesterday. What it was then, I have no idea really! But I have said before now that I believed that BA would look this spring for expressions of interest in courses to start next year. They can't reasonably start looking for new people in the current circumstances, but I still believe that they will want to resume training in 2003 to avoid being dependent on the experienced aircrew pool which may or may not be there when they need more people - the main reason for their recruiting policy before 9/11.. .Let's now hope that BA has done enough to stop the rot. I, for one, am not convinced - I think that restructuring in short-haul will have to go further. But I hope that they've given themselves a bit of breathing space to think that through.. .As a footnote, Virgin today announced the resumption of a small number of routes, so it ain't all bad news!