PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UH-72 to Rucker ? What's the Army thinking?
Old 21st Feb 2014, 13:04
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Freewheel
IIRC, the md902 was passed over in favour of the 145 for the 72 requirement. I wonder if that was such a wise choice, then much less now?
Given the requirement upon which the award was based, it was a "good enough" choice.
Lonewolf, wasn't meant to poke, just to point out the IFS concept is still alive somewhere in the DoD.
Indeed it is. As you pointed out, at a certain cost per flight hour for the "entry trainer" a "pre entry" basic course has shown that it can be of some value. (The IFT program showed for a while a reduced primary / UPT attrition for USAF).
The results of IFS for the Navy showed mixed results, at best.
I have been advised that the link I provided was as pretty a picture as could have been painted of the program, based on what it was believed would be achieved by putting it into place in the early 00's. This is from someone who is much more familiar with the program than I.

What the Army has to sort out is whether or not they can save hours, dollars and fatigue life on the UH-72 via a well structured IFT sort of program in ... Robbies? Enstrom? Schweizer? Jet Rangers?

When you look at the volume of pilots they may be running through a system, HOW one puts that program into place and maintains standards is non- trivial problem to solve.

Your point on just who is providing this IFS (and standards) is spot on.