PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New to Flying
Thread: New to Flying
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2014, 11:23
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many moons ago I was being taught co-ordinated turns with stick & rudder in a glider. I asked my instructor, "Can I try something?". "What's that.". "I would like to try a turn without the ailerons just to see what happens". "Go ahead", says he. The end result you all know, but it taught me something I didn't know at the time and my instructor said, "quite right , don't just do it cos I said so, understand the thing you are doing, and the reason behind it".

If Hermie can't understand something he should be able to ask. If the instructor can't understand his confusion or can't explain his teaching then replace the instructor, but give him a chance first. Is this a language problem?
My instructor at the time was a Scotsman, I was by that time certified Scottish, so could understand the meaning of rapidly uttered:- "Dinnae dae that, ye'll hae us in the watter". So I was able to react accordingly to such advice. At a later date I was being screamed at by a Spanish instructor in a 152 to, "Left rudder"!! as we were rapidly approaching the grass on the left! I was forced to ignore his advice and we discussed the niceties of the English language after landing.